Setting Up Your Spruce Number
Spruce allows you to make outbound calls to patients through the app without disclosing your personal number. Get started in 3 easy steps and learn about your second, professional phone line.
1. Claim Your Spruce Number
To claim your Spruce Number, open the Spruce app, tap the 'Settings' icon in the upper left corner of the home screen, select 'Phone Setup', then enter your preferred area code.
After you claim your Spruce number, add it to your contacts. When a patient calls, your Spruce Number will show up in the Caller ID. This way you can distinguish between personal and professional calls.
2. Customize Your Voicemail Greeting
Your new Spruce number gives you the ability to maintain a separate 'professional' voicemail greeting that is distinct from the personal greeting that lives on your phone.
As a default, your Spruce account will be set up with a greeting that names your practice (as you've described in your Team Name): “You have reached [Team Name]. Please leave a message after the tone.”
Patients hear this message in the following situations:
- You have the ‘Send Calls to Voicemail’ toggle set to ON
- You screen a call to your Spruce number and decide not to answer by hanging up
- You miss a call to your Spruce number
If you'd like to customize this with a more personal message, you can do so within the mobile Spruce app. Simply navigate to the menu, tap on your Spruce number to access Phone Settings, tap ‘Voicemail Greeting’, select 'Custom' to record your greeting of choice, and select 'Save.'
3. Make and Receive Calls
Within a Patient Conversation
- To place a call, click into the relevant patient conversation, then tap the phone icon in the upper right. If you cannot see the phone icon, that means you haven't yet associated a phone number with the patient in question. You can do so by clicking the three dots and editing their contact details. This is available on both mobile and web
Using the Dialpad within the Mobile App
- To place a call, tap on the ‘+’ icon in the lower right hand corner of the screen, then select 'Dialpad'. You have the option of selecting a number from your contacts (upper right hand corner), or by directly entering the phone number on the screen. Calling a number creates a new standard conversation if one doesn’t already exist with that phone number. Please note that if you have a secure conversation with a patient but no standard conversation, then a standard conversation will be created at this time.
- When you place the call, don't be surprised that the number shown is not the patient's. This is just an artifact of how we disguise your phone number. On the other end of the line, the patient will see your Spruce number on caller ID.
Always initiate outbound calls from within the app. Redialing from your recent call list will reveal your personal number.
When a patient calls your Spruce number, it will ring through on your cell phone, as well as on any other phone listed in the 'Numbers to Ring' list (in Settings). Whoever picks up first will field the call.
- Incoming calls from patients will show up on your phone as a call from your Spruce number to denote that it is a professional call. You can still screen your calls by answering and listening to the announcement of the patient's name or number.
- If you answer the call, you will be given the choice to 'Press 1' to be connected, or hang up to send it to your Spruce voicemail. If you opt to hang up, the patient will hear a greeting that names your practice and asks them to leave a voicemail. This is also true if you don't pick up at all. Learn more about Customizing your Voicemail here.
All calls are recorded in the patient conversation, automatically documenting that the call took place (whether inbound, outbound or a voicemail).
Check out five reasons to give your patients your cell phone number, on our blog!