Using Spruce Links
IN THIS ARTICLE
Introduction to Spruce Links
Spruce Links, or Practice Links, make it easy to invite your patients to download the Spruce app and connect directly with your practice. Each Spruce Link is a unique URL that follows the following format:
When a patient clicks on your Spruce Link or enters the URL in their browser, they’ll see the option to connect to their phone’s app store to download the Spruce Care Messenger app. By downloading the app in this way (rather than directly from the app store), they will be automatically connected to your practice upon setup, and a new secure patient conversation will appear in your Spruce inbox.
You can access your Spruce Link in the settings section of your app, under the "Spruce Links" section.
Distributing your Spruce Link
Spruce Links are an effective way to advertise the communication access that your practice offers to patients. Here are some examples of how other providers have shared their Spruce Practice Link with patients:
- Email marketing: Advertise that your practice offers secure messaging via an email newsletter.
- New patient onboarding: Incorporate downloading Spruce into your new patient onboarding by sharing the Spruce Practice Link.
- In-office displays: Display the Spruce Practice Link in-office on a flyer or business card at your front desk.
- Website: Differentiate your practice on your website by advertising that you offer secure messaging through Spruce.
- Advertising: Use practice links to track referral sources for inbound patients coming from online or print ads.
Custom Spruce Link configurations
A single organization can have multiple distinct Practice Links. Multiple Practice Links can be configured to automatically tag patient conversations based on which link was used to sign up.
These custom configurations can be useful in a number of contexts: for example, to identify the referral source of a patient who joins your practice, or to help multiple providers invite their own individual patient panels to join them on Spruce.
Please contact Support if you want to set this up. This is available on the Communicator plan.
Patient identity verification with Spruce Links
When you manually invite a patient to a Spruce secure conversation, you provide us with the patient’s mobile number and email address, and we verify both of those points of information before pairing a patient with your practice.
When you use Practice Links, anyone with access to that link can be paired with your practice. During the account creation process, they enter their own name and mobile number (and we confirm that they own that mobile number with two-factor authentication). We pair the patient with your practice based on the fact that they have access to the link and not any additional contact details that you have provided to us.
As such, when using practice links, it is the responsibility of your practice to verify the patient’s identity before divulging PHI. We recommend the following:
- Confirm that the patient’s phone number and email address listed in the Spruce secure conversation matches the patient’s phone number and email address in your records.
- If either, or both, of the phone number and email address don’t match the information in your records, contact the patient through a known method of communication to confirm the alternate contact details and that they have created an account on Spruce via your Spruce Link.