IN THIS ARTICLE
Introduction to Spruce email
At this time, Spruce offers basic email that functions similarly to Spruce messaging – imagine sending a message through Spruce and having it reach an email address instead of being sent as a text. Spruce email does not offer personalized subject lines, cc, bcc, or reply-all. Only PDF and photo attachments are accepted. If enabling basic email on the Spruce platform is right for your organization, the information in this article will help you get started.
Setting up email on Spruce
Each organization on Spruce can set up one email address. All addresses are in the format of [x]@[y].sprucecare.com.
To set up your email address, go to your Spruce Settings page and select Email Setup. Here you can customize the [x] and [y] components of your email address, so the final address is [x]@[y].sprucecare.com.
To change your Spruce email please message us in app with your new email request.
Sending email on Spruce
- Make sure the patient you want to contact has an email address on file. Select the Person Icon in the top-right corner of the patient conversation and add an email address if needed.
- Once the patient has an email address on file, you will see the option to Email at the bottom of the screen in your patient's Standard Conversation, next to the SMS and Internal options.
- Your patient will receive your email as they would any other.
Sending an attachment
To send an attachment, open a patient conversation and select the Plus (+) button at the bottom of the screen. This will prompt you to attach either a photo or video or a PDF. Please note that Spruce supports file types PNG, JPEG, and PDF as attachments. Because supported attachment types are limited, if a patient sends you an email to your Spruce address that contains an unsupported attachment, you may not be able to open that message.
Spam detection for inbound email
Spruce automatically detects when an inbound email may be spam. When this happens, one of the following actions is taken:
- DEFAULT SETTING: The conversation will appear unread in your inbox. You'll see Possible Spam next to the email message, and you will not receive a notification about the email.
- OPTIONAL: The email is blocked. You won’t see any record of the email in your inbox.
- OPTIONAL: The conversation will appear unread in your inbox. You'll see Possible Spam next to the email message, but you will receive a normal notification.
If you would like to change from the default setting to one of the optional settings, please message the Spruce team through your app or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Maintaining HIPAA compliance
After you sign a Business Associate Agreement (BAA) with Spruce, any communication that occurs entirely on Spruce (app-to-app messaging with providers or patients, telemedicine within a secure messaging thread) is inherently secure, encrypted, and compliant with the technical requirements of HIPAA.
Spruce email is considered a standard (non-encrypted) method of communication. You can still maintain HIPAA compliance with email as long as the patient is aware of potential security vulnerabilities and you offer a secure communication alternative (Spruce app-to-app messaging). Please take a look at our White Paper on HIPAA compliance to learn more.