Using the Spruce App as a Patient
IN THIS ARTICLE
We're here to help!
If you are having trouble creating your Patient Spruce account to connect with your doctor, please select this link to connect with our Patient Support Team. We will help you get connected!
You can also read the article below, which covers all the basic steps to get started on Spruce.
Introduction to Spruce for patients
Welcome to Spruce! The Spruce Care Messenger app is an all-in-one communication platform for doctors and patients. If you're here, you've probably been invited to use Spruce by your doctor or other healthcare provider. When you download the Spruce app, you can conveniently exchange messages with your provider and have the comfort of knowing your communication is secure, encrypted, and HIPAA-compliant.
Spruce gives you more than just messaging. You can send and receive photos, videos, and PDF attachments as well. And if your provider uses telemedicine, you may do video calls or health questionnaires on Spruce. Everything you receive from your provider is stored inside the Spruce app, and when you receive a new message, you'll get a notification on your phone from Spruce.
(If you're already on Spruce and you need help troubleshooting access to your account, please see our account troubleshooting article.)
Accepting your doctor's invitation
To start using Spruce, you must have an invitation link from your doctor. This special link tells Spruce which practice you'll communicate with once you're on the app. Typically your doctor will send the invitation link via a text message or by email. Here are the steps to accept your doctor's invitation and set up your Spruce account.
Accepting the invitation from a text or email:
- You must accept the invitation from your mobile smart phone or desktop computer. Go ahead and find your invitation link on your mobile phone or computer now.
- Open the email or text message that contains the invitation link. The link usually looks like spruce.app/_______. Click the link. You may have to click the link twice.
- If on your mobile phone (if not skip to Step 5), your internet browser will open to a Spruce webpage. Select Get the App & Connect. This will take you to the iOS App Store or Google Play, depending on your phone.
- Select the Spruce – Care Messenger app and download. Once the download is complete, open the Spruce app on your phone and select Continue when prompted.
- Select Create a new account, and enter your personal mobile phone number. You will receive a verification code via text message. (If you do not receive a verification code within five minutes, delete the app and start again from step one.)
- On the next screen, enter the verification code, select Next, and enter your profile information to complete your setup. You can begin messaging with your provider once you have completed these steps!
Accepting an invitation without an email or text
Doctors can also invite patients to Spruce by sharing their invitation link on a flier or postcard. If you receive the invitation link in written format, enter the link in the web browser on your mobile phone or computer, then follow the instructions above, starting with Step 3.
Accessing Spruce from the web browser
Once you have created your Spruce account, you can navigate to www.sprucehealth.com, on the Google Chrome browser, and select "Login." Then, you can login with your existing account credentials (username/password) and access Spruce from the web.
If you haven't created your account yet, please get in touch with your provider and ask that they invite you to join Spruce.
Messaging your doctor
Any time you log in to Spruce, you will see the conversation thread between you and your provider. All communication exchanged with a particular practice will be visible here. To send a message, simply compose your message by tapping into the compose bar at the bottom of the screen and select Send.
You can securely send photos, videos, and PDFs to your doctor using Spruce. Select the Camera Icon at the bottom of the screen to send a photo or video. Select the Paper Icon at the bottom of the screen to send a PDF. The file you want to send will need to be available on your mobile phone in order to attach it through Spruce.
Accepting Video Calls from your Doctor
You can accept video calls from your doctor from your mobile smart phone or a desktop computer. Only your Provider can initiate the call to you, so at the time of your appointment, it is best to be logged into Spruce and ready to accept the video call.
Accepting video calls from your mobile device:
Accepting video calls from your desktop computer (from the Google Chrome, or Safari browser):
Adjusting your Spruce settings
You can access your Settings page by selecting the Spruce Logo Icon in the top left corner.
- Select Notification Preferences to adjust your Spruce notifications as needed.
- If you use Spruce to communicate with more than one practice, select the practice you want to communicate with under Practices before composing a message.
- If you need help from the technical support team for the Spruce app, select Email Support to reach us. We're happy to help, but note that we are not part of your doctor's practice, and you should not send us any medical information.
- To log off of Spruce, select Sign Out.
Select Notifications from your Settings panel to set up your notification preferences.
Not using Spruce yet? Learn more here.