Porting Your Number to Spruce
What is porting?
Porting is the process of transferring a phone number from one telephone service provider to another. Many Spruce customers port their phone numbers from another service to Spruce. We are happy to help coordinate this process with you.
If you have checked out for a paid plan on Spruce, please reach out to the Spruce Support team to initiate the porting process. To contact Spruce Support, log into the Spruce app, search Spruce Support in the search bar, and open up the Spruce Support thread. Message us in the thread, and let us know you are interested in transferring your existing business number to Spruce!
Porting involves verifying that the person initiating the port request owns the number and requires coordination from both carriers. This process can take 1 to 3 weeks from start to finish. You can still use your existing number during this time, and there is no interruption to service.
What’s the process to port my number to Spruce?
The process will depend on who your current service provider is, but typically looks like this:
- Documentation Approval: You complete the required documentation to verify that the phone number being ported belongs to you.
- Request Submitted: We submit the request to port your number with your current provider and our telecom service provider.
- Port Scheduled: We’ll let you know the date and time that your number is scheduled to be ported to us.
- Porting Begins: On the date your porting has been scheduled, our provider will begin to update the routing records so that your calls will go through Spruce. This process will take approximately 2 to 3 hours to complete end to end.
(Please note that your current service provider may notify you that the process is complete before we do; this means that they have released your number to us and we’re still working to finish the port.)
- Testing: Once the porting process has completed on our end, we’ll notify you and send some test calls / SMS to your number to ensure that everything is working properly.
- Port Complete: After we verify that your number has ported properly, you’ll be able to send and receive voice calls through Spruce.
(Please note that SMS text messages will take a little bit longer to be fully functional due to the fact that all carriers need to update their routing records. Many carriers say that it may take 24 to 48 hours, but in our experience it's typically shorter than that.)
- Cancel Old Services: You may cancel your previous service 48 hours after your number has ported if all voice and SMS functionality is confirmed successful following your port.
Can I still use my phone number during the porting process?
Yes. Up until your port is complete, you will continue to use your number with your current service provider, just as you have before. On the day of the port, we’ll be in touch to let you know the status of the transfer and when you should switch over to using Spruce instead.
When should I cancel service with the carrier I’m transferring away from?
As a precaution, our service provider recommends keeping your account active with your current provider for 10 days after the port is scheduled. They ask that you do this so that in the rare event of an error occurring during the porting process, you won’t lose your number.
Can I transfer my number out of Spruce?
Yes, although we’d be sad to see you go. Please message us in Support so we can help facilitate the port.
Not using Spruce yet? Learn more here.