IN THIS ARTICLE
Introduction to Spruce email
At this time, Spruce offers basic email that functions similarly to Spruce messaging – imagine sending a message through Spruce and having it reach an email address instead of being sent as a text. Spruce email does not offer personalized subject lines, cc, bcc, or reply-all. Only PDF and photo attachments are accepted. If enabling basic email on the Spruce platform is right for your organization, the information in this article will help you get started.
Setting up email on Spruce
Each organization on Spruce can set up one email address. All addresses are in the format of [x]@[y].sprucecare.com.
To set up your email address, please message Team Spruce Support or email firstname.lastname@example.org with what you want the [x] and [y] components of your email address, so the final address is [x]@[y].sprucecare.com. For example: email@example.com
To change your Spruce email please message us in app with your new email request.
Sending email on Spruce
- On mobile click the plus sign and on web look for the pencil blue icon and select Email.
- Enter the patient's email or search for the patient to pull up their email
- Compose your message where it says, "Type a message..." on web and on mobile it will say "Send a message...".
Alternatively you can open any Contact and if they have an email address you can select the mail icon (envelope) icon to the right of their email to send a new email.
Sending an attachment
To send an attachment, open a patient conversation and select the Plus (+) button at the bottom of the screen. This will prompt you to attach your file. Please note that Spruce supports most commonly used file types.
Spam detection for inbound email
Spruce automatically detects when an inbound email may be spam. When this happens, one of the following actions is taken:
- DEFAULT SETTING: The conversation will appear unread in your inbox. You'll see Possible Spam next to the email message, and you will not receive a notification about the email.
- OPTIONAL: The email is blocked. You won’t see any record of the email in your inbox.
- OPTIONAL: The conversation will appear unread in your inbox. You'll see Possible Spam next to the email message, but you will receive a normal notification.
If you would like to change from the default setting to one of the optional settings, please message the Spruce team through your app or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Maintaining HIPAA compliance
After you sign a Business Associate Agreement (BAA) with Spruce, any communication that occurs entirely on Spruce (app-to-app messaging with providers or patients, telemedicine within a secure messaging thread) is inherently secure, encrypted, and compliant with the technical requirements of HIPAA.
Spruce email is considered a standard (non-encrypted) method of communication. You can still maintain HIPAA compliance with email as long as the patient is aware of potential security vulnerabilities and you offer a secure communication alternative (Spruce app-to-app messaging). Please take a look at our White Paper on HIPAA compliance to learn more.